Thursday, May 14, 2009

Writing in General

"No thinking — that comes later. You must write your first draft with your heart. You rewrite with your head. The first key to writing is... to write, not to think!"

When I was in the 9th grade I had an English tutor that lived up the block from me. And her boyfriend, Dave "Dancy" Dancy, wrote for the local newspaper "Utica Phoenix", over the years he's become my writing/life mentor. Anyhow back in '03... By this time I was a recognized talented youth in my neighborhood, the "big fish, in a little pond" typa deal. I was amazing at free writing; poetry, articles, stories, etc. -- but Required writing aka HW assignments? I dreaded and hated. I would write essays, get A's, write papers, get 3's ; I had been doing that for all of my life it felt. I was over it. (Still am, even in college]. But last night me and my bro were watching Finding Forrester, and Sean Connery delivered that quote. It struck me because that's what Dave told me when I was writing my essay for an English assignment. It wasn't exactly that, but he told me "Never hand in your first work, write first, just write - then throw it out, and then write your actual work." I've followed that advice and I got higher grades. Whenever I threw something together and turned it in, I passed but it's decent. The difference is very apparent to me going on my Junior year of college.

I still hate Required Writing, and I procrastinate to the last minute. Like that make-up assignment that's due tomorrow for the anti-Christ? Yeah, I haven't started on it. I gotta go to trouble-mobile and get a new battery for my phone. Definitely need my Starbucks fix before anything else.

SO - that paper? It'll get done later tonight. I took the time to write this blog though, some things never change. Lol.
peace, -ace.

No comments:

Post a Comment